John A. Ruder, M.D. Profile
Dr. John Ruder is a fellowship trained sports medicine physician specializing in all facets of sports related injury prevention and treatment. He graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's degree in Biology and subsequently earned his medical degree from the University of Central Florida. He completed an orthopaedic residency at Carolinas Medical Center, followed by a sports medicine fellowship with E. Lyle Cain, MD, Jeffery R. Dugas, MD, Benton A. Emblom MD, and James R. Andrews, MD at the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) in Birmingham, Alabama.
Dr. Ruder has particular interest in hip preservation. Non-arthritic hip preservation surgeries include arthroscopic treatment of femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), labrum repair/reconstruction, endoscopic gluteus medius and proximal hamstring repair, as well as mini-open treatment of core muscle injury (sports hernia). Additionally, he treats sports related injuries of the shoulder and knee.
Dr. Ruder has previously provided on-site medical coverage for Tuskegee University, SEC Baseball Tournament, Birmingham Barons, Birmingham Ballet, and Vestavia Hills High School. His research interests include sports medicine and hip preservation, having published numerous articles on these topics. In addition, he has presented his research at multiple local and national orthopaedic conferences.
Dr. Ruder utilizes a team approach to patient care, leading his patients’ treatment planning and ensuring thorough communication across all medical team members.
John A. Ruder, M.D. CV
- MD, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, FL
- Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Fellowship, Orthopedic Sports Medicine, American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, AL
- NV State Medical License 2001 - 2003
- CA State Medical License 1998 - 2024
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Trofa DP, Ruder JA, Yeatts NC, Peindl RD, Habet NA, Saltzman BM, Fleischli JE, Cyclic and Load-to-Failure Properties of All-Suture Anchors in Human Cadaveric Shoulder Greater Tuberosities, Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery (2020).
- Patterson JT, Ishii K, Tornetta P, Ruder JA, Morshed S, et al. Open Reduction is Associated with Greater Hazard of Reoperation after Internal Fixation of Femoral Neck Fractures in Adults 18-65. JOT.
- Young B, Trofa D, Ruder JA, Fleischli J. Visualization of Concurrent Anterolateral and Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury on Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Arthroscopy (accepted for publication).
- Dashe, J, Ruder JA, Tornetta, P, et al. Henry Versus Thompson Approach for Fixation of Proximal Third Radial Shaft Fractures: A Multicenter Study. J Orthop Trauma (accepted for publication).
- Swart E, Peindl R, Zheng N, Habet N, Churchill C, Ruder JA, Seymour R, Karunakar M, Kellam J, Sims S. Electronically Augmented Gait Abnormality Assessment Following Lower Extremity Trauma. OTA International. 2019 (e032).
- Ruder JA, Dickinson EY, Habit N, Peindl R, Fleischli JE. Cyclic and Load to Failure Properties of All-Suture Anchors in Human Cadaveric Shoulder Glenoid Bone. Arthroscopy. 2019 April 3.
- Ruder JA, Dickinson EY, Habit N, Peindl R, Fleischli JE. Greater Tuberosity Decortication Decreases Load to Failure of All-Suture Anchor Constructs in Rotator Cuff Repair. Arthroscopy. 2018 Sep 5.
- Ruder JA, Brighton BK, VanderHave KL, Turvey BR, Hsu JR, Scannell BP. Effectiveness of a Low Fidelity Cast Removal Module in Orthopaedic Surgical Simulation. J Surg Educ. 2018 Feb 23.
- Ruder JA, Dickinson EY, Habit N, Peindl R, D’Alessandro DF, Fleischli JE. Slight Reduction in the Insertion Depth for an All-Suture Anchor Decreases Cyclic Displacement in the Shoulder Glenoid. Arthroscopy. 2018 Feb 15.
- Angerame MR, Ruder JA, Odum SM, Hamid N. Pain and Opioid Use After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty With Injectable Liposomal Bupivacaine Versus Intersacalene Block. Orthopedics. 2017 Sep 1;40(5):e806-e811. Epub 2017 Jun 15.
- Ruder JA, Wally MK, Oliverio M, Seymour RB, Hsu JR and the PRIMUM Group. Patterns of Opioid Prescribing for an Orthopaedic Trauma Population. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Jun;31(6):e179-e185.
- Ruder JA; Springer BD. Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection Using Antimicrobials: Dilute Povidone-Iodine Lavage. J. Bone Joint Infect. 2017; 2(1): 10-14.
- Ruder JA, Hart GP, Kneisl JS, Springer BD, Karunakar MA. Predictors of Functional Recovery Following Periprosthetic Distal Femur Fractures. J Arthroplasty. 2017 May;32(5):1571-1575. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.12.013. Epub 2016 Dec 23.
- Ruder JA, Turvey B, Hsu JR, Scannell BP. Effectiveness of a Low-Cost Drilling Module in Orthopaedic Surgical Simulation. J Surg Educ. 2017 May - Jun;74(3):471-476. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2016.10.010. Epub 2016 Nov 7.
- Tan TL, Springer BD, Ruder JA, Ruffolo MR, Chen AF. Is Vancomycin-only Prophylaxis for Patients With Penicillin Allergy Associated With Increased Risk of Infection After Arthroplasty? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Jul;474(7):1601-6. doi: 10.1007/s11999-015-4672-4.
- Crawford L, Peck K, Ruder JA, Herrera-Soto JA. The Fate of the Neuromuscular Hip After Spinal Fusion. J Pediatr Orthop. 2017 Sep; 37 (6): 403-408.
- Ruder JA, Legacy J, Russo G, Davis R. Neonatal Citrullinemia: novel, reversible neuroimaging findings correlated with ammonia level changes. Pediatr Neurol. 2014 Oct; 51(4): 553-6.
- Ruder JA, Magennis EM, Ranawat AS, Kelly BT. Clinical and Morphologic Factors Associated with Suture Anchor Refixation of Labral Tears in the Hip. HSS J. 2014 Feb; 10 (1): 18-24.
- Wright PB, Ruder JA, Birnbaum MA, Phillips JH, Herrera-Soto JA, Knapp R. Outcomes after Salvage Procedures for the Painful Hip in Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 33(5):505-510, July/August 2013.
- Knapp DR, Goytan MJ, Perrra JH, Noordeen HH, Smith JS, Broadstone PA, Berven SH, Choma TJ, Ames CP, Roh MS, Kim YJ, Ruder JA. Assessment of Morbidity and Mortality Collection Data 2009. Spine Deformity May 2013(Vol. 1 | No. 3 | Pages 179-184)).
- Wright PB, Ruder JA, Herrera-Soto JA, Birnbaum MJ, Phillips JH. Arthrogram Assisted Screw Fixation of Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: A CT and Radiographic Study. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 32(7):693-696, October/November 2012.